Featured Story: Election

Friday, January 19, 2007

A New Home

I signed a 1 month apartment rental contract on Monday. At least I think I did. The contract was in Spanish, so for all I know there may have been some subtle legalese which obligates me to donate organs too, but so far no-one wielding a scalpel has come knocking at my door. In any case, I'm now living in a one-room place in a nice area of Buenos Aires. There's a sushi takeout one block over (California rolls continuously beckon) and a video rental store nearby with a sign outside for Samuel L. Jackson's "Terror a Bordo". I can't help but think that with a translated name like that, "Snakes on a Plane" probably loses its comedic value.

I'm really enjoying having my own space and being able to buy groceries to cook. I saw a bottle of "Mexico Sauce" in the supermarket which piqued my curiosity. How do you distil an entire country into a small liquid filled bottle? And what would go in "America Sauce"? 2 parts entrepreneurial spirit, 1 part religious fervour, a dash of political corruption and a sprinkling of ignorance, all mixed in an oil base?

2 comments:

Jess said...

Great to hear you have moved in somewhere. What's the address to send all your junk to??
-J.

Nigel said...

Don't get your hopes up. You're still stuck with it for a while yet.