Featured Story: Election

Monday, November 20, 2006

A Change of Plans

Two days ago Anne and I spent 7 hours on a bus getting to Lake Titicaca. At 3,800m, it's the highest navigable lake in the world. If that's ringing alarm bells, there's a good reason for it. Yes, I got altitude sickness. And I did what I do best in that situation. Spent the night throwing up.

We took the first bus out the next morning, back to Arequipa and a comfortable 2,300m altitude. I'm not sure what caused the problems at Titicaca as I haven't had problems since the Cotopaxi adventure, even in places where others have had headaches. But for now we've decided to leave the mysteries of altitude sickness for others to explore. We're crossing Bolivia off the agenda since most of the places we planned to visit are higher than 4,000m. Tomorrow we had south and into Chile.

No comments: