Featured Story: Election

Friday, December 29, 2006

Summer in Patagonia

From Patagonia

Trying to find inspiration to write after several weeks' absence from the internet is difficult. It would be easy to continue coasting along without looking at emails or blogging but, as with getting out of bed on the weekend, what's good for me sometimes requires effort.

We ended up spending 9 days on the Paine circuit. The terrain ranged from the famous Torres to the immense Glaciar Grey, the weather from rain to snow to the occasional bit of sun to extremely windy, as this entry from the minimal diary I kept describes:

Day 3: Crossed a pass. Wind so strong it blew the spit out of my mouth and the snot out of my nose.

With gusts that literally pushed me backwards several steps, this was no exaggeration. The first half of the trail was relatively isolated and provided a chance to meet some of the other trekkers whose trip coincided with mine and Anne's. Among others was the group we ended up joining at the end of every day, the retired Alaskan couple on their fifth trip to Torres del Paine and whose hiking abilities far surpassed mine, and a woman from New York who commented on the second day that she could have seen the same scenery in New Hampshire. Anne restrained herself from suggesting she go back and finish her hike there.

Apart from the shared conversations while warming ourselves round wood-fired stoves, some of them expanded my knowledge of the English language. Memorably, I learnt the phrase "fuck this shit" can be used not only when you are tired of many days hiking and camping without a shower, but also as a concise way of signifying your desire to leave the dinner table.

The second half of the trail was more accessible to buses and ferries from the nearest town, which brought many day hikers staying in comfy lodges. They breezed past with tiny backpacks by day, and at night as I pitched tent and huddled over my camping stove to cook dinner, I consoled myself by feeling smugly superior.

Speaking of dinner, food figured prominently in the 4-5 sentences I wrote to my diary each day. It's no surprise that when spending hours every day trekking to the next campsite while staring at a spot on the ground roughly 2 meters in front of you, fantasizing about food becomes a regular pastime. I went from imagining what I'd like to eat, to telling Anne in tantalising detail how I would prepare the food (heat up the pan with olive oil, tip in chopped onions, listen to them sizzle, add salt and fresh ground black pepper while you smell the aroma of the onions beginning to caramelise, etc.), to writing diary entries such as this:

Day 5: Leftovers @ breakfast. 2 women who paid for a meal at the hut couldn't finish their food. Excellent start. Too bad we won't see them again.

All this despite eating very well considering Anne and I carried our supplies for the entire trek. Maybe my body is starting to notice the 6kgs I've lost since the start of my travels several months ago and wants them back.

The second hike was a much shorter and easier 4-day affair in Parque Nacional Los Glaciares in Argentinian Patagonia. Christmas day brought views of 2 beautiful ice cold lakes at the base of the Fitzroy peak, along with a lunch where the friend we hiked with excitedly exclaimed, "It's Christmas! What do you normally do to celebrate?" to a trio of Israelis.

Despite the short days, Anne and I, together with a couple others, rewarded ourselves with a large home-cooked steak and vegetable stir-fry dinner at the end. After 3 bottles of wine between the 4 of us, we decided to check out the only bar in town. We stopped en route to convince some renovation workers in the supermarket to open the doors at 1am and let us buy 2 more bottles, which the bar let us bring inside - a sure sign of a friendly small town. We realised the next day on the 15 hour bus ride over unpaved bumpy road just how bad this seemingly good idea was.

The next couple weeks will be a journey north, recrossing into Chile to travel part of the scenic Carretera Austral up the Andes. I'm hoping to make it to Argentina's winemaking region before heading to Buenos Aires. I've been wanting to do a bike tour of wineries - a combination, like chocolate fondue with strawberries, that has the potential to fantastically exceed the already enjoyable sum of its parts.

8 comments:

Jess said...

Hi Nigel,
Nice photos. Sorry to hear about the weather. There is way more snow on the mountains in your pictures than when we were there a couple weeks later in the season.
-J

Nigel said...

It was actually pretty nice with the snow. Better than rain, certainly. And coming over the pass (where it was over a foot deep on the ascent) with snow coming down to suddenly see the view of Glaciar Grey was one of my favourite parts of the trek.

I'm hoping for some people to email me more pics. One guy had a nice digital SLR, which should hopefully give better views than the quick-snap pictures copied from other people I currently have online. And hopefully I'll finish the roll of film I was taking pictures with. Could take me a couple months, given my usual rate.

Anonymous said...

tqldbsHi Nigel,
Great to hear from you again! It sounds as if the experience was pretty spectacular, despite the food fantasies that arose . The photos that you took make me feel cold despite the fact that it is summer down there. What an amazing trip!
We are having a cosy evening here with the kitties (who have taken the best seats in the house)
Happy New Year to you and Ann,
J & P
Z&M

Anonymous said...

ybxGreat to have you back in blogland - we have been missing your interesting observations! Pretty spectacular part of the world and great to hear that you have both enjoyed it in spite of the tough trekking. Congratulations Anne for biting your tongue and not voicing your thoughts on "could have seen the same in New Hampshire" - obviously she never opened her eyes in either place! Enjoy your continued travels and we will enjoy your continued blog. All the best for a brillo 2007!
lol&h
L & K

Anonymous said...

Wow, I admire your tenacity. However, you make me feel very old and lazy -- and cold as well, says I as I sit here clasping my trusty h-w-b. I'm a little scared that when you eventyually make your way to us "golden oldies", life will seem rather mundane und flat! Is Anne keeping up a blog or diary and how has she been faring?

Congratualtions on such fantastic record keeping. The effort involved is worth its weight in gold.

C and I spent New Year's Eve on the 20 hour Jailsalmer to Delhi train trip. We were accompanied by a group of jolly school children from Chennai along with their equally enthusiasitc teachers. They were amazingly well behaved and we thoroughly enjoyed their rendition of The Twelve Days of Christmas, amonglst many other songs in English and Indian languages. At the apponited hour, as we lay dozing inour bunks, it was wonderful to hear them wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

Wishing you and Anne a Happy a nd Healthy 2007,

Lol, M

Erik Nordlander said...

hey nigel,

Just wanted to point out that New Hampshire is real nice. But why would you go there when you can see the same stuff in Central Park...

hope you will have a fun and safe new year.

colinjwarren said...

Hola Nacho!

Pretty amazing hikes! We looked at your photos of cold things sitting in our unheated 45F flat, just to get the right mood. But, unlike you, we were able to resort to b-o-t and fried eggs to warm ourselves. Am a bit worried about all those kg lost - not sure where they would have come from. I forsee many hours in the gym (not here, though, as we let our ACSA membership lapse!).

Rajasthan was great, and your tailor a real gem. May order more from him. We'll have to start thinking of an April program. Sikkim is still waiting, but I wonder about the altitude. No probs in your recent ascents?

Ran to India Gate this morning, past all the army bands on Raj Path practising for Republic Day. Reminded me of the Hyderabad 'marriage' with the competing bands. They sounded more like marriage bands than military bands. Maybe that is because no-one has the music score.

Keep writing. Brief is good, as your quality quotient is high.

Aml, D.

Nigel said...

Speaking of military bands, just before leaving for the Torres del Paine hike, I walked by the central plaza in Punta Arenas to see a military band playing music. What made it surreal was that the music sounded like the type of thing you'd hear on a beach in the Caribbean. Combined with the fact that it was freezing, windy, and the band members were fully dressed in uniform and furry hats with ear flaps, I had to laugh.