Featured Story: Election

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Climbing Cotopaxi: A Final Note

Yesterday Anne and I met up with the two hikers who had helped us in the hut on Cotopaxi. We talked a bit about what had happened and I found out some more information. The guide who had taken me down from the hut to the car (different person from Anne and my guide) had gone back up afterwards to do the climb with them. Apparently while we were on the way down I passed out.

It really unnerved me to find this out. Partly because I felt very aware during the entire ordeal. Nothing was hazy, I could think clearly, and I was very much conscious. Or at least I thought I was. It's scary to realise I passed out and had no idea.

Even more scary was finding out that 60% of people who pass out in altitude situations like that don't make it. Food for thought.

On a more cheerful note, I'm completely fine, so M&D there's nothing to worry about. I'm leaving Quito today to head south to Cuenca. Tomorrow Anne and I will meet our host family, and on Monday we start Spanish lessons.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buena suerte con las lecciones. :-)

Really glad to hear that you're all okay... it is all a bit scary, probably even moreso in hindsight! A lesson for me as well.

Anonymous said...

I too am really happy that you are OK. Living on the edge has its drawbacks! I know you like challenges but I guess you may pick others for the present.
Remember there is a reason that athletes go to a place of altitude to train for quite a while to adjust to altitude before attempting any competitons....
buena suerte
Jill

colinjwarren said...

Well, you can count yourself lucky. (And we count ourselves extra lucky too!). Enjoy the hopefully less dangerous task of learning castellaƱo. We visited the India-Pakistan border yesterday and watched the fantastically camp border closing and flag lowering ceremony, with strutting uniformed soldiers on either side egged on by cheering crowds. Followed by a free meal of chapattis and dal at the
Golden Temple.