Featured Story: Election

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Salsa

From Cuenca

Before you jump to conclusions, no, I'm not imitating Nelly. This is the result of my latest slightly worrying adventure. Wednesday night there are salsa lessons at my language school, and afterwards some of us go to a little salsa club called La Mesa. Last week was a lot of fun - I've never seen a dancefloor where people move so well. Some people are just incredible to watch, spinning in all directions, pushing off the walls, all the while making it look so stylish.

This week I planned to go back again and try and practice the latest basic moves I learnt in class. I got there with a bit of a stomach ache, but after sitting down it seemed to disappear. I went to the bar with Anne to get a drink, and my stomach started hurting again so I decided to go back and sit some more while I watched other people. My stomach ache suddenly got very bad and then my vision clouded over. The next thing I knew I was being woken from a dream, feeling extremely sleepy and confused as to why I was waking up to people crowded all around me instead of a bedroom.

The bandage is covering the nice bump on my head that I got from falling forward off my stool. I was lucky once again to have a medical student there to give advice, and everyone around was extremely helpful. Today I feel fine. I went to a clinic this morning to get checked out, and the doctor's opinion was that passing out was probably caused by my stomach ache, not anything related to a more serious condition or the altitude. If it happens again I'll go back and have more extensive tests done. Fingers crossed that won't be necessary. For now I'm spending the day resting and will go back to classes tomorrow.

I don't know if I've ever passed out in my life before, but it seems I'm almost making a sport of it on this trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, you haven't ever passed out before, and I'd be happy if your bar experience was your "grande finale".
Today is Diwali, it's dark already and the celebrations are loud and clear... If I didn't know better, I'd think that we were in Iraq. Funny to think that we ALL celebrated this holiday together last year... We're off for our traditional Diwali evening chez Anita et famille.
Stay well and stay upright. If not, further investigation might not be a bad idea. as Anne has probably had enough of practicing her nursing skills. Danke Anne :)