Featured Story: Election

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

An Offer I Can Refuse

As soon as I slowed down I realised I was making a mistake. I had just come out of a job interview and was lost in thought as I walked through the SoMa neighbourhood to the San Francisco CalTrain station. The man looked at me as I passed as if he knew me, and I returned his half-smile with a curious expression on my face. I pulled my mind from the interview and back to the present. Did I know him? Maybe we’d bumped into each other when I was working here last year. I stopped and turned around.

“Hi, I’m Jack,” he said, extending his hand.

I shook it and said, “I’m Nigel,” realising a second too late that all was not usual with the situation.

“Where are you headed?”

“To the train station.” And then, because walking away seemed rude and I didn’t know what else to say, “What about you?”

“Wanna go back to my place?” he replied.

“Uh, sorry, I gotta get home,” I said and turned and walked on. If only the companies I’m interviewing with would make me an offer so easily...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nigel! I love reading your bloggy blogg! I don't even like reading mine that much (when I had it, I cancelled it in August, which I guess gives you an indication of how much I enjoyed it in the end). Your entries are short & sweet, easy moments to fall into -- I like the one about following Ahmed while scuba diving & the one about coming back to the U.S. & feeling like it had been a dream but for the blogg to tell you it wasn't.... This is Sheila by the way, from hiking at Muir Beach. If you email me I can send you the photo! brwnsug94530@yahoo.com

Kristin Tieche said...

Hey Nigel,

It's Kristin. Thanks for celebrating the beginning of my b-day with me. I wrote about the weekend on my blog (our LDR discussion included). You can catch up on the party you missed out on here. Good luck in NY.