Featured Story: Election

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sticker Shock

I knew I would have some readjusting to do to get used to western prices after a year of discount travelling. Consider London shock therapy. Economists use the Big Mac Index as one measure of price comparison between countries. I’m finding it hard to break the habit of comparing everything against an index based on a particularly cheap dorm room I stayed in in Egypt.

A meal does not register in my head as £15; instead it becomes an outraged, “I could pay a month’s accomodation for that price!” Needless to say, this is a thought pattern I will have to change soon. Otherwise I’ll be forced to dye my hair grey, wear slippers and a cardigan, and start making up stories about my days as a young boy, hiking uphill through knee-deep snow to get to school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one suffering from sticker shock... After almost four years of living in India, I am now reeling from the $200:00 charge for a (maybe) ten minute second opinion from an orthopaedist yesterday with regard to my foot.

Being a second opinion, I had the diagnosis in hand plus Xrays. I did the undoing of my open cast... and I did the paying of the bill :(

You wanna get rich, let me recommend the profession to choose..